Thursday, July 17, 2014

Welcome Cinco!

Losing Max was very difficult. It was hard waking up and not having him right next to my bed.

For 15 years Max was a constant companion.

It soon became clear that the adjustment was not only hard for Ed and I, but also, maybe even more so, for our little border collie mix, Rosie. She was depressed and not her normal perky self. We would have probably waited longer to add to our family but it became apparent that the gap in the family dynamics was not a healthy one for her.

If you are an animal lover, one of the first things you will notice coming to Merida, especially on the outskirts of the city like San Pedro Nohpat, is the abundance of stray animals. As I have mentioned before, it used to make me teary-eyed daily seeing animals, dogs in particular, in the horrendous conditions they were in out on the street.

I would try to put food out and help a few that were on my street but it rarely helped them more than a few months before they would disappear forever. I am sure victims to one of the many hazards they faced in the streets. I must admit I started purposely becoming blind to seeing them anymore. It was a measure for my own mental survival.

Then of course last year we added Picassa to the mix after she showed up as a starving kitten in our yard. She has been a wonderful addition to the family but since she grew out of kitten-hood, she now spends her days sunning herself in windows. She picks and chooses when YOU get affection. She is like the Soup-Nazi from Seinfeld "No Affection For You!"

Over the past few years I have also watched the activities of a few local animal rescue groups on Facebook. Seeing the pictures of all the pups and kitties that needed homes always tugged at my heart-strings, but now with the hole in our family unit I started looking more seriously at possible additions. I started communication with Patricia, a volunteer at Evolucion Animal Shelter. She was very helpful and guided me through the adoption process and filled me in on a few potential babies who needed homes. She then set us up to communicate with Sylvia Cortes, who runs the shelter. This woman is amazing! The closest person I have met to Mother Theresa for animals! She manages a no kill shelter and has dozens and dozens of animals that she tirelessly works to find homes for while simultaneously educating the public on animal rights and care, not to mention a constant need to raise funds to keep the animals fed and medically treated as needed.

I don't care where in this big world you live, if you want to put your money to good use and be sure every penny will go to the cause, please consider helping Sylvia and her babies!


Evolucion Website

After much debate we narrowed down our options to a few and ultimately chose our dear Cinco. Since we adopted Cinco I have also become friends on Facebook with another of the shelter volunteers, Godriick. He had found Cinco and his siblings in a pile of garbage.

It breaks my heart to see him in those conditions. 

But I am happy to say that he has been with us for a month and a half and he is doing very well! He like Rosie and Picassa now knows that he is a spoiled baby!
The Dynamic Duo


Daddy and Cinco take their daily afternoon siesta together

Cinco and Picassa getting used to each other, although daily she still bops him on the head and then he barks like crazy to "tell on her"


I love my family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment